Painting Date30th of November -0001
Geology: Rosamond Geological Map
Featured Image: Stuckey Building Rosamond c. 1890
Rosamond was originally established in 1877 as a townsite which was owned by the Southern Pacific Railroad and was named ‘Rosamond’ after the daughter of one of the railroadofficials. The first local industries were mining and cattle. During the 1890s, gold was discovered and miners quickly traveled to the area and populated it in order to strike it rich; however, the industry waned for many years, yet later had some success with a small boom during the 1930s. In 1933 Muroc Army Air Field was established, which has since been renamed Edwards Air Force Base in honor of fallen test pilot Glenn Edwards.
The Rosamond post office opened in 1885, closed in 1887, and re-opened in 1888.
Rosamond is situated on the northern end of the Antelope Valley, the westernmost valley of the Mojave Desert. Because the elevation is in the range of 2000 to 3,000 feet (910 m) above sea level, the area, like the other parts of the Mojave Desert region, is alternatively referred to as the High Desert. Some cities and communities within the trading area of Rosamond include Lancaster, Palmdale, Hi Vista, Roosevelt, Redman, Lake Los Angeles, Quartz Hill, Ridgecrest, and Santa Clarita. Residents of these desert cities and unincorporated communities share Sierra Highway, Angeles Forest Highway, Angeles Crest Highway (State Route 2), and the Antelope Valley Freeway (State Route 14) for commutes to the San Fernando Valley and Los Angeles Basin in order to get to work.
Willow Springs lies west of central Rosamond and was a watering hole for stagecoach travelers for generations. Due to the water now not available at the surface as it once was, the age-old springs are but a memory. Today Willow Springs Raceway is nearby, which hosts a variety of motor racing events, attracting people from all over Southern California and beyond.